PhD, Urban Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, 1995.
Master’s, City and Regional Planning, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 1984.
BA, Sociology, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI, 1980.
Professor, Division of Social Sciences, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL (6/16 – present).
Professor, School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning and School of Sustainability, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ (8/07 – 5/16).
Professor (2007), Associate Professor (2003-06), Assistant Professor (1999-02), Department of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL.
HONORS and AWARDS
Fellow, Congress for the New Urbanism. Elected 2015.
Guggenheim Fellowship, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation (2014-2015).
Will and Nan Clarkson Chair in Planning, Scholar-in-Residence Award, SUNY Buffalo, November 9-14, 2014.
Fellow, American Institute of Certified Planners, American Planning Association. Class of 2012.
Voted into Planetizen’s “Top 100 Urban Thinkers” in a 2009 poll (www.planetizen.com) – 1 of 9 women to be included on the list.
The Amacon-Beasley Scholar-in-Residence Award, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, March 1-6, 2010.
The Chester Rapkin Award for Best Paper in the Journal of Planning Education and Research, 2008.
Outstanding Book Review Award for 2004 in the Journal of the American Planning Association (review of The Livable City).
2017. Emily Talen. Neighborhood. The University of Chicago Press. (forthcoming)
Emily Talen, Ed. Retrofitting Sprawl: Addressing Seventy Years of Failed Urban Form. Athens, GA: The University of Georgia Press.
Emily Talen, Ed. The Charter of the New Urbanism, 2nd Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill. 302 pages.
Andrés Duany and Emily Talen, Eds. Landscape Urbanism and Its Discontents: Dissimulating the Sustainable City. Vancouver, BC: New Society Publishers. 315 pages.
Emily Talen. City Rules: How Regulations Affect Urban Form. Washington, D.C.: Island Press. 236 pages.
Emily Talen. Urban Design Reclaimed: Tools, Techniques and Strategies for Planners. Washington, D.C.: Planners Press. 145 pages.
Emily Talen. Design for Diversity: Exploring Socially Mixed Neighborhoods. London: Architectural Press (Elsevier). 246 pages.
Emily Talen. New Urbanism and American Planning: The Conflict of Cultures. London: Routledge. 318 pages.
- Julia Koschinsky, Emily Talen, Mariela Alfonzo and Sungduck Lee. How Walkable is Walkers’ Paradise? Environment and Planning B (forthcoming).
- Mack, Elizabeth, Emily Talen and Julia Koschinsky. Walkable Art: An Examination of the Link Between the Arts and Walkable Neighborhoods. Economic Development Quarterly (forthcoming).
- Julia Koschinsky and Emily Talen. Location Efficiency and Affordability: A National Analysis of Walkable Access and HUD-Assisted Housing. Housing Policy Debate (forthcoming).
- Michael Powe, Jonathan Mabry, Emily Talen and Dillon Mahmoudi. Jane Jacobs and the Value of Older, Smaller Buildings. Journal of the American Planning Association Online: doi:10.1080/01944363.2015.1135072.
- Emily Talen, Sunny Amanda Menozzi and Chloe Schaefer. What is a “Great” Neighborhood? An Analysis of APA’s Top Rated Places. Journal of the American Planning Association 81, 2: 121–41. doi:10.1080/01944363.2015.1067573.
- Myint, Soe Win, Baojuan Zheng, Emily Talen, Chao Fan, Shai Kaplan, Ariane Middel, Martin Smith, Huei-Ping Huang, and Anthony Brazel. 2015. Does the spatial arrangement of urban landscape matter? Examples of urban warming and cooling in Phoenix and Las Vegas. Ecosystem Health and Sustainability 1, 4: 1-15. doi:10.1890/EHS14-0028.1
- Julia Koschinsky and Emily Talen. Affordable Housing and Walkable Neighborhoods: A National Urban Analysis. Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research 17, 2.
- Sungduck Lee and Emily Talen. Measuring Walkability: A Note on Auditing Methods. Journal of Urban Design 19, 3: 368-388.
- Emily Talen. Housing Demolition during Urban Renewal. City & Community 13, 3: 233-253. DOI: 10.1111/cico.12070
- Emily Talen and Julia Koschinsky. Compact, Walkable, Diverse Neighborhoods: Assessing Effects on Residents. Housing Policy Debate. DOI: 10.1080/10511482.2014.900102
- Emily Talen. DIY Urbanism: A History. Journal of Planning History. DOI: 10.1177/1538513214549325
- Emily Talen and Julia Koschinsky. The Neighborhood Quality of Subsidized Housing. Journal of the American Planning Association 80, 1: 67-82
- Emily Talen and Julia Koschinsky. The Walkable Neighborhood: A Research Summary. International Journal of Sustainable Land use and Urban Planning 1, 1: 42-63.
- Emily Talen. Zoning For and Against Sprawl: The Case for Form-Based Codes. Journal of Urban Design 18, 2: 175-200.
- Emily Talen, Eliot Allen, Amanda Bosse, Josh Ahmann, Julia Koschinsky, Elizabeth Wentz, and Luc Anselin. LEED-ND as an Urban Metric. Landscape and Urban Planning 119: 20-34.
- John Forester, Alessandro Balducci, Ali Madanipour, Klaus R. Kunzmann, Tridib Banerjee, Emily Talen, and Ric Richardson. Creativity in the Face of Urban Design Conflict: A Profile of Ric Richardson. Planning Theory & Practice 14, 2: 251-276.
- Emily Talen. Contradiction and Consensus in American Urbanism. Architectoni.ca (http://ccaasmag.org/arch.php). Vol. 3: 23-29.
- Emily Talen. Latino Urbanism: Defining a Cultural Urban Form. Journal of Urbanism 5, 2/3: 101-112.
- Emily Talen. Prospects for Walkable, Mixed-Income Neighborhoods: Insights from Developers. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment: 28, 1: 79-94. doi: 10.1007/s10901-012-9290-9.
- Emily Talen. Zoning and Diversity in Historical Perspective. Journal of Planning History 11, 4: 330-347.
- Emily Talen. Sprawl Retrofit: A Strategic Approach to Parking Lot Repair. Journal of Architectural and Planning Research 29, 2: 113-132.
- Emily Talen. Sprawl Retrofit: Sustainable Urban Form in Unsustainable Places. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 38, 6: 952-978.
- Luc Anselin, Jack Nasar and Emily Talen. Where Do Planners Belong? Assessing the Relationship between Planning and Design in American Universities. Journal of Planning Education and Research 31, 2: 196-207.
- Emily Talen. The Geospatial Dimension in Urban Design. Journal of Urban Design 16, 1: 127-149.
- Emily Talen and Julia Koschinsky. Is Subsidized Housing in Sustainable Neighborhoods? Evidence from Chicago. Housing Policy Debate 21, 1: 1-28.
- Emily Talen. The Spatial Logic of Parks. Journal of Urban Design 15, 4: 473-494.
- Emily Talen. Affordability in New Urbanist Development: Principle, Practice, and Strategy. Journal of Urban Affairs 32, 4: 489-510.
- Emily Talen. The Context of Diversity: A Study of Six Chicago Neighborhoods. Urban Studies 47, 3: 486-513.
- Emily Talen. Design by the Rules: The Historical Underpinnings of Form Based Codes. Journal of the American Planning Association 75, 2: 1-17.
- Emily Talen and Cliff Ellis. Compact and Diverse: The Future of American Urbanism. Progress in Planning 71, 4: 153-205.
- Jennifer Steffel and Emily Talen. Affordable Housing in New Urbanist Communities: A Survey of Developers. Housing Policy Debate 19, 4: 583-613.
- Emily Talen. New Urbanism, Social Equity, and the Challenge of Post-Katrina Rebuilding in Mississippi. Journal of Planning Education and Research 27: 277-293. Reprinted in Dialogues in Urban and Regional Planning, Volume 4, Thomas L. Harper, Michael Hibbard, Heloise Costa and Anthony Yeh, Eds. London: Routledge. 2010.
- Emily Talen. Beyond the Front Porch: Regionalist Ideals in the New Urbanist Movement. Journal of Planning History 7, 1: 20-47.
- Emily Talen and Swasti Shah. Neighborhood Evaluation Using GIS: An Exploratory Study. Environment and Behavior 39, 5: 583-615.
- Emily Talen. Connecting New Urbanism and American Planning: An Historical Interpretation. Urban Design International 11: 83-98.
- Emily Talen. Neighborhood-Level Social Diversity: Insights from Chicago. Journal of the American Planning Association, 72, 4: 431-446.
- Emily Talen. Smartcode Justice. Places, A Forum of Environmental Design 18, 1.
- Emily Talen. Design for Diversity: Evaluating the Context of Socially Mixed Neighborhoods. Journal of Urban Design 11, 1: 1-32.
- Emily Talen. Design that Enables Diversity: The Complications of a Planning Ideal. Journal of Planning Literature 20, 3: 233-249.
- Emily Talen and Jason Brody. Human vs. Nature Duality in Metropolitan Planning. Urban Geography 26, 8: 684-706.
- Emily Talen. Land Use Zoning and Human Diversity: Exploring the Connection. Journal of Urban Planning and Development 131, 4: 214-232.
- Emily Talen. Evaluating Good Urban Form in an Inner City Neighborhood: An Empirical Application. Journal of Architectural and Planning Research 22, 3: 204-228.
- Gerrit Knaap and Emily Talen. New Urbanism and Smart Growth: Notes from the Academy. International Regional Science Review 28, 2: 107-118.
- Emily Talen. A Call for the Radical Revitalization of American Planning. Harvard Design Magazine Fall 2004/Winter 2005, Number 21: 76-85.
- Emily Talen and Cliff Ellis. Cities as Art: Exploring the Possibility of an Aesthetic Dimension in Planning. Planning Theory & Practice 5, 1: 11-32.
- Emily Talen. Measuring Urbanism: Issues in Smart Growth Research. Journal of Urban Design 8, 3: 303-328.
- Emily Talen. A Matter of Priorities: New Urbanism and Community Life. Places, A Forum of Environmental Design 15, 3: 77-80.
- Emily Talen. Neighborhoods as Service Providers: A Methodology for Evaluating Pedestrian Access. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 30, 2: 181-200.
- Emily Talen and Gerrit Knaap. Legalizing Smart Growth: An Empirical Study of Land Use Regulation in Illinois. Journal of Planning Education and Research 22, 4: 345-359.
- Emily Talen. Pedestrian Access as a Measurement of Urban Quality. Planning Practice and Research 17, 3: 257-278.
- Emily Talen. Help for Urban Planning: The Transect Strategy. Journal of Urban Design 7, 3: 293-312.
- Abby C. King, Dan Stokols, Emily Talen, Glenn S. Brassington, and Rich Killingsworth. Theoretical Approaches to the Promotion of Physical Activity: Forging a Transdisciplinary Paradigm. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 23,2: 15-25.
- Emily Talen. Exorcising the Ghost of Emily Latella. Places, A Forum of Environmental Design 15, 1: 68-70.
- Andres Duany and Emily Talen. Making the Good Easy: The Smart Code. Fordham Urban Law Review Journal 29, 4: 1445-1468. Reprinted in 2003 Zoning and Planning Law Handbook, Patricia E. Salkin, Ed. Published by West Group. Pps. 813-842.
- Emily Talen. The Social Goals of New Urbanism. Housing Policy Debate 13, 1: 165-188. Also printed in Strategies for Safe and Sustainable Communities, published by the Landscape Architectural Registration Boards Foundation, 2003, Pps. 77-103.
- Andres Duany and Emily Talen. Transect Planning. Journal of the American Planning Association 68, 3: 245-266.
- Emily Talen and Cliff Ellis. Beyond Relativism: Reclaiming the Search for Good City Form. Journal of Planning Education and Research 22, 1: 36-49.
- Emily Talen. School, Community and Spatial Equity: An Empirical Investigation of Access to Elementary Schools in West Virginia. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 91, 3: 465-486.
- Emily Talen. Traditional Urbanism Meets Residential Affluence: An Analysis of the Variability of Suburban Preference. Journal of the American Planning Association 67, 2: 199-216.
- Emily Talen. Planning Expenditures and Wealth. Planning Practice and Research 15, 4: 343-352.
- Emily Talen. Measuring the Public Realm: A Case Study. Journal of Architectural and Planning Research 17, 4: 344-360.
- Emily Talen. Bottom-Up GIS: A New Tool for Individual and Group Expression in Participatory Planning. Journal of the American Planning Association 66, 3: 279-294.
- Emily Talen. New Urbanism and the Culture of Criticism. Urban Geography 21, 4: 318-341.
- Emily Talen. The Problem with Community in Planning. Journal of Planning Literature 15, 2: 171-183.
- Luc Anselin, Sergio Rey, and Emily Talen. The expanded and revised IRSR subject and author index. International Regional Science Review 23, 4: 345-349.
- Emily Talen. Constructing Neighborhoods from the Bottom Up: The Case for Resident-Generated GIS. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 26, 4: 533-554.
- Emily Talen. Can Sense of Community be Built? An Assessment of the Social Doctrine of New Urbanism. Urban Studies 36, 8: 1361-1379.
- Emily Talen and Mary Coffindaffer. The Utopianism of Children: An Empirical Study of Children’s Neighborhood Design Preferences. Journal of Planning Education and Research 18: 321-331.
- Emily Talen and Luc Anselin. Assessing Spatial Equity: An Evaluation of Measures of Accessibility to Playgrounds. Environment and Planning A 30: 595-613.
- Emily Talen. Visualizing Fairness: Equity Maps for Planners. Journal of the American Planning Association, 64, 1: 22-38.
- Emily Talen. The Social Equity of Urban Service Distribution: An Exploration of Park Access in Pueblo, CO and Macon, GA. Urban Geography 18, 6: 521-541.
- Emily Talen. Success, Failure, and Conformance: An Alternative Approach to Planning Evaluation. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 24: 573-587.
- Emily Talen. After the Plans: Methods to Evaluate the Implementation Success of Plans. Journal of Planning Education and Research 16, 2: 79-91.
- Emily Talen. Do Plans Get Implemented? A Review of Evaluation in Planning. Journal of Planning Literature 10, 3: 248–259.
- Emily Talen. The Paseo System: A Multi-Purpose Public Space. Urban Design and Preservation Quarterly 13, 3: 14–16.